Skip to main content

Witch


The house I live in, has windows with burgundy sashes that open to miles of green downs and farther up the horizon, one could see the meadows sprinkled with black dots in the mornings and ghostly whites at night that occurred in pairs.

I like pleats in my skirts; flouncing and pirouetting, as the swell of the silk settles with a swoop, on the quilt mattress of my giant bed, I see the whorl of a flower forming around my haunches. Then as if the waves on shore recede with a silence that stings the ear, the satin fabric discordantly chugs with a flimsy gait and settles around my loins. Its many lapping pleats stained with velvet flowers and green branches tussle with one another as I launch myself into an imperfect gait.

Years before, one night, a young man lifted the iron girdle and knocked on the heavy wooden doors of my castle. Strands of hair flashed to the right of his brow; his eyes gleaming with curiosity. Puckered between his supple lips, he held a pipe and broached the subject of stay. I allotted him my bedroom upstairs.

Moonlight found in its way, tall trees that fidgeted through the sinuous branches its many broad leaves. Upon the bedroom window, they squeezed and pampered the young man. Sauntering the mellow of his dreams, night after night, moonlight inflicted him; traveller though, my bedroom with its mellifluous grip enchanted him. He no longer wished to leave. In the tight folds of the drapes, I crouched in the shadow and watched him sleep every night. The curl of his arm, the bend of his ankle, mauve of his mane and melody of his breathing ensorcelled my fragile person. I watched in silence as his leonine head furrowed into the golden crusted pillow; at midnight, I stepped out of my haven and smelt the warm air he exhaled.

Cupboards in the room were swollen with damp as my heart was with his salacious glow. The young man with hairy chest resting on my thickly enamelled cot that stood on lion’s paws piqued my interest in him. The high raised headrest with its rows of drip pattern left by the recent varnishing, drew me into a spell. I could not hold myself anymore. Standing by the bedside, I collected, with my index finger, the silvery saliva that escaped his plump lips. I rushed to the kitchen evading moonlight, lest the finger is exposed. Once there, I proceeded to mix it with the fuming concoction I prepared the other night. Boiled the mixture under blue gushing flame for four hours, and before it was dawn, my labour was finished. Pouring the residue out of the beaker into a tumbler full of broth, I waited meditatively for the lion of my heart to wake up.

Presently, on the window sill, a pair of pigeons pecked at each other’s feathers. Their feet are spindle-like and skin on them, plaited as my hair, with folds of blood red layers interwoven with brick wood. Over the years, I have had the occasion to witness seasons envelop this tall mansion, one after another in each other’s embrace. At night, I hear the distant cries of wolf; pressing my keen ear against the plastered walls, I hear too, the sound of wind wallowing in its nocturnal habit.

My tight bodice I like; sitting on the bow shaped winding staircase, I deny supplying my dug to the infant who crawls pitifully at my feet. Digging its teeth into the damp woollen carpet beneath, it sighs and paws ploddingly. Hinges of the bedroom doors squeak upon turning; patches of wood splinters are caught into my night overall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where British Steel met the Nubile Cultural Beauty.

Noughties have been a delight. My life began; I might be tempted to say-just as any other city’s did. But the fact is that my life began when angry gentlemen threw spades at each other. In sixteenth century, my rulers at Golconda founded me. Musi, my artery ran through me fresh and clear embellishing me for years. When plague besieged me portentously, my rulers wove one of the most beautiful monuments in India-Charminar, adorned me with the crown. But before the incumbent rulers at Golconda could flourish in the shadows of the great crown and meadows of the fecund land, Nizams defeated them in a battle. What was to come next, I would not have contemplated at that time, but looking back, I realise that the Nizams watered those shrubs of culture that sporadically rose in the rule of my previous rulers. What was to be quoted by Dr. Ambedkar after my inclusion in the united India - as home to all the riches and culture, so good to take upon the capital city status for a united India - grew...

Chowmahalla Palace

It was the morning after my wedding. The dark peachy coloured blinds on my windows were still drawn; the maid with pigtails had retreated after laying down the morning’s breakfast on the thickly lacquered table. Stepping down from the cot, silk thread from my morning dishabille was stuck in the headrest’s broad eagle wings; it threatened to steal away my modesty. Gathering the folds around my knees, I restored propriety before slipping my feet into the glint slippers. The flower vase in the patio shone its tinselled mouthful of white roses that caught sun voluminously. In the garden that night, sitting alone, with the full moon perched in the pool water before me, I recalled the incident and the man who had turned me into a woman. The day before my wedding, a painter had been called. I met him in the courtyard; he was seated on a backless piano chair. Neatly perched on the easel was the drawing board, and from behind it, with tapered quills, greeted a man with sagebrush moustache. Th...

Doused with life

Kiran was only eight years old when the incident occurred. He was walking home tired and hungry, sweeping the tar road with his eighty rupees worth new shoes as he walked on completely exhausted. His school bag, he hung it up his head and lunch box was suspended to his right shoulder. The year was 1984; India had just won the world cup. Kids were playing cricket in every street and by lane of the city. The cycle repair man was pulling the air filled tube through a bucket of water to check for the air leaks, the tall man Kiran’s neighbour stood by the repair man’s side counting the leaks himself, lest he be cheated. ‘If I can reach the end of the incline before the limping man nearing it from the other side of the road, I will get first rank in class this summer’ Kiran challenged himself. He reached the incline that would ease his harrowing walk from the school to home; he descended down the incline with measured relief and took a left turn at the end of it. He left the limping man behi...