Skip to main content

“Life of Brian” – movie review


It’s Jerusalem, Roman Empire. Brian is up for crucifixion and he inquires with the jailor “can I speak to someone, I think there has been a mistake” and the jailor responds “do you have a lawyer….I am sorry, we are in a bit of hurry today, you go on now….out of the door, lying on the left, one cross each”

It isn’t for no reason that they call “Life of Brian” the greatest British comedy movie of all time. You only have to watch the opening credits to realise the genius of these men waiting impatiently to explode on the screen, their penetrating eye for comedy. I cannot imagine how the people of Britain and world at large must have felt when they had seen the movie at the release time, back in 79.

And Now for Something Completely Different (1971): when I first saw the movie, I had no idea of the pythons. Even today, the pythons’ series wins hands down, unparalleled in uniqueness and unequalled in sheer ability to capture the mood of the time, bottle it up and release it in a manner conceivable to even the lamest of man.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975): by now, I fanatically revered the pythons. They are so likable, their movies evoke plain impulsiveness. Through them, the viewers watch naivety; nubile cultural endearments, in their hands, underwent transformation and the result left the audiences gasping with a feeling that was forming in their heads- inchoate. The prurient called them uncouth, while for the rest of us, uncouth was just fine. In fact, this was exactly what we were waiting for. But were never able to describe what the longing was, for all these years.


Monty Python's Life of Brian begins with the scene (in 33 AD) where a revolutionary activist is passing a sermon to his people from atop a hill and a little away from the hill is Brian and his mom chatting up. A man and his wife are arguing about the man’s habit of picking his nose. And Brian is impatient “do you mind. I can’t hear a thing he is saying”. 21st century comedy, I must say, cannot recreate what The Pythons did. Such purity of comedy is adorable.

“Did anyone catch his name?” inquires a man, referring to the sermoniser

Revolutionary groups discussing as to how they can overtake the Roman Empire, sit around the table and discuss their plans. The discussion is made to look like an advertising agency’s discussion with a corporate client on competitive analysis and where they stand. All this, in 33 AD.

As the men are being sent to crucifixion, jailor in charge is speaking to each prisoner as if a doctor would do in a hospital. “Out of the door, lying on the left, one cross each please” and the prisoners walk out frolicking and fun filled, enthusiastic, bubbling with joy. You have to see the movie to appreciate it. Perhaps, the most daring yet delightful, radical yet affectionate tales ever told. The pythons have stripped all sophistry naked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where British Steel met the Nubile Cultural Beauty.

Noughties have been a delight. My life began; I might be tempted to say-just as any other city’s did. But the fact is that my life began when angry gentlemen threw spades at each other. In sixteenth century, my rulers at Golconda founded me. Musi, my artery ran through me fresh and clear embellishing me for years. When plague besieged me portentously, my rulers wove one of the most beautiful monuments in India-Charminar, adorned me with the crown. But before the incumbent rulers at Golconda could flourish in the shadows of the great crown and meadows of the fecund land, Nizams defeated them in a battle. What was to come next, I would not have contemplated at that time, but looking back, I realise that the Nizams watered those shrubs of culture that sporadically rose in the rule of my previous rulers. What was to be quoted by Dr. Ambedkar after my inclusion in the united India - as home to all the riches and culture, so good to take upon the capital city status for a united India - grew...

White Man's Diary

I have utter contempt for a man who is not passionate about the work he does; I am at loss for words to decipher the enigma of this world and its subtle nuances. Its really intriguing at the same time quite disturbing to know that there are people who consider the world a mundane place. It’s inconceivable to think that people are ingenuously assuming the shred of indifference. Permit me to feel flattered for being bestowed upon me the onus of enlightening the kind of people that were ostracized for centuries by the society of the enlightened, the kind that were never kind to themselves, the kind that wished to liberate themselves from all the desires that besieged them perpetually. History tells us that the people who managed to think beyond the obvious were invariably rewarded for having put up the act of thinking. People who lived on this planet earth 2000 years prior to now, had enough food for thought. An incredible amount of friction existed at every step they took in the evolutio...

Chowmahalla Palace

It was the morning after my wedding. The dark peachy coloured blinds on my windows were still drawn; the maid with pigtails had retreated after laying down the morning’s breakfast on the thickly lacquered table. Stepping down from the cot, silk thread from my morning dishabille was stuck in the headrest’s broad eagle wings; it threatened to steal away my modesty. Gathering the folds around my knees, I restored propriety before slipping my feet into the glint slippers. The flower vase in the patio shone its tinselled mouthful of white roses that caught sun voluminously. In the garden that night, sitting alone, with the full moon perched in the pool water before me, I recalled the incident and the man who had turned me into a woman. The day before my wedding, a painter had been called. I met him in the courtyard; he was seated on a backless piano chair. Neatly perched on the easel was the drawing board, and from behind it, with tapered quills, greeted a man with sagebrush moustache. Th...